Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Carrying out my GAME plan

More and more excited about the prospect of doing innovative lesson plans using alternate forms of technology has me researching on the net for a variety of different sources. I have discovered many helpful sites offering suggestions on how to use the technology my students already use on a daily basis (cell phones, ipods, and Facebook). I also have spoken with other language arts teachers to get an idea what(if any) technology they are using in their own classroom. What I have discovered is usually the lack of technology use in their classroom is because of lack of being comfortable with its use (as I said in my previous post), and many of those teachers have expressed an interest in learning about and applying what I eventually use in my own classroom. Others already use a myriad of different technologies and were kind enough to share their ideas with me.

I continue to research and read in order to alleviate the nervousness that occurs when I attempt something new, and I have gotten my students involved by having them complete a survey about the types of technology they have access to and how they feel about using these in our classroom. My next step is to email the parents on my team and discuss with them the strategies I am hoping to use to increase interest in their student's learning as well as communicate more effectively with the parents themselves on a daily basis.

It is amazing how my view of my own role as a teacher (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 176) has changed from when I started this particular course or master's program, for that matter. There are times when teaching becomes mundane, but with increased knowledge in the area of technology, excitement about teaching seems to be the predominant feeling I experience now on a daily basis.

Reference

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of providing the students with a survey to see what types of technology they are familiar with and their comfort level. I have heard of teachers using cell phones and facebook in the classroom. This is very interesting to me, but I would need to learn more about it to make sure it was a beneficial learning experience for the students. I was thinking about how important it is for my students to see the text or have something in writing because it allows them to practice reading, writing, and spelling. So many of my students ask me to spell words I would assume they know how to spell after being in school for ten years. I think having a digital way for them to communicate with one another is so important and can be very beneficial in developing these skills while also engaging them by providing them with an audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauline Branker:

    I agree with you on this matter. Since I have been during this Master´s program on technology, it has made me feel energize to try different things with my students. In spite of the limitations, I have to find ways to get around them and use the digital tools to increase student engagement. I also have to do a lot of online research on some areas, because these of issues that I certainly was unaware of. There are a lot of interesting ideas and software programs to assist teachers. Outlining a GAME plan is a very good way to get myself more focused and organized on what I want to teach my students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very interested in the results that you get from your student surveys. I've been toying with the idea of using Facebook. We use Angel network to manage information and disemminate it to students and parents, but many students just don't use it that often. The do use Facebook, though. Right now my administration frowns upon it, I think for fear of inappropriate comments, etc. I do think there is a difference between using Facebook for class and having students as friends on Facebook.

    I understand what you mean about getting ideas from your colleagues at school. I've run into that, as well. I guess we must be trailblazers! :)

    ReplyDelete