Wednesday, January 12, 2011

GAME plan for technology integration

G - Goal

It only takes a course like the one I am presently in to make me realize how far I have to go in ensuring my students are utilizing the technology available to them to enhance their learning. As I viewed the NETS-T, I found myself focused on two standards which I would like to focus on over the next few weeks –

2a. design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity (ISTE, 2008)
3b. collaborate with students, peers, parents, and community members using digital tools and resources to support student success and innovation. (ISTE, 2008)

I recognize that while I have a multitude of technological tools at my fingertips, I have been hesitant to use them because of the lack of confidence in my abilities.

A – Action
I chose the two particular learning goals because they go hand in hand. Because I lack confidence in the use of certain technology devices available in our classrooms as well as innovative ideas, I will reach out to other teachers in the school who have already begun to utilize the devices with which I am interested in. As well, I believe asking my students and their parents what technology interests them most is also important. I will also use englishcompanion.ning.com as a source for others outside of my school for ideas. After compiling a list of ideas and suggestions, I can then begin to design or adapt the use of technology around a current lesson I have been planning to teach. I believe I would like to focus on the integration of technology in my reading and writing standards. In addition, involving the parents through email and my website will be another form of action in my overall plan.

M – Monitor
In order to monitor my progress and that of my students, it will be necessary to be more reflective. I have never been good at keeping a journal – not now or when I was young – but this will become a key part of my monitoring. This journal will also be a place where I can record ideas that I discover through collaboration with students, peers, and parents. Another way to monitor progress will be through response received from my parents and students.

E – Evaluation
Since this the second time I have taught this particular lesson, I will be able to evaluate student progress BEFORE and AFTER the integration of technology. This should give me a good indication of its success. In addition, the communication with parents will also be a good evaluation of my progress. Parent communication is always important; however, as students reach middle school (especially 8th grade), parents many times do not communicate as much as in the earlier years of their child’s education. The interaction with parents will also be a evaluation of whether this integration technology was successful.

Reference
ISTE, Initials. (2010). Nets for teachers 2008. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers/nets-for-teachers-2008.aspx

4 comments:

  1. I agree that taking a course such as this one make me realize how much technology is available and inspires me to incorporate new technology into my classroom. One reason I do not incorporate some types of technology is because I do not feel comfortable enough with it myself to introduce it to my students. This course provides me new ideas and allows me time to get comfortable with new technology, so that I can introduce it in the classroom and incorporate it into my lessons.

    I think having already taught the lesson will be a great advantage when you go to evaluate yourself. You should be able to see if the integration of technology had a positive impact on the lesson and reflect on what you could do to make the lesson even stronger and more meaningful to the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello~I think the opportunity to try this lesson again will be reflective with your new found knowledge from this class. In reading your action plan I had a connection to remembering how valuable our colleagues are when learning about new technological tools. We have two mobile carts in our building and there are vast amounts of new software on them. It is comforting to know I can reach out to neighboring teachers for support. This can also go the other way in myself assisting teachers with technological questions in their classrooms. The idea of involving parents is wonderful. What a great way to utilize them as a resource. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trina!

    I like your idea about email communication with parents. I have a daughter in middle school and her teachers send email updates on a weekly/biweekly basis. It is a great way to let me know about tests/projects, etc. because students do not have to fill out their agenda books and get them signed anymore like they did in elementary school. It helps me prompt my daughter to study and to remember due dates as she is learning to be more independent and self-directed! I was glad to hear that someone else was wanting to add technology to a lesson that you have taught before. Sometimes I need to teach a unit a couple of times before I feel ready to add to it/change it with new ideas. Let me know through the blog what you learn about before/after the integration of technology for the lesson. Like the teachers from the DVD session for this week suggested, finding the right combination of technology and traditional approaches creates the 'best fit' that enhances our instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trina,

    I can relate to what you said about keeping a journal. It has been a goal of mine each year. I am not getting any better at keeping one. I find myself reflecting better when I am in conversation with others. It is important that we keep some kind of anecdotal journal or reflection journal as we begin using more and more technology and infusing our instruction with strategies and practices that we might not be used to, so that we can go back and really reflect on the effectiveness on student learning.

    I wonder if these blogs can be a tool for reflecting? Even if no one else reads it, it would be a place easily accessible when you need it to be. If someone happens to cruise by comment, then so much the better. (I'm getting a bit excited about the prospect!)

    Debb

    ReplyDelete