Wednesday, February 2, 2011

One step at a time...

My GAME plan is progressing. While I haven't been able to get the blogs completely up and running due to not all parental permission slips being returned, I was able to integrate an activity to get the students on the right track. As I stated earlier, I hoped to create blogs for my students to "blog in character". In order to get them started, I developed a Facebook template for them to create their character. It is not an authentic Facebook page as the school forbids the use of Facebook through its filter, the students are very excited about their pages. It is phenomenal to watch them get excited about the reading of the book because they are trying to establish who their character is. So much fun!! We will be going to the lab on Friday for them to search out pictures to add to their Facebook pages and then I will print them out on the color printer. For all their excitement, you would have thought I had invented the greatest lesson on the planet - yeah me!!

The only true difficulty that has arisen is the few (very few) students who don't have a Facebook for one reason or another, it has taken a little more explanation for them to understand the concept of "status updates", "recent activity", "networks", etc.; however, the opportunity for them to have a Facebook page is "sweet", as one of my students stated.

2 comments:

  1. Trina,
    Just "hearing" your excitement in this blog entry, I can just imagine the energy in your classroom. I would like to be a beggar and ask you to share with me the guidelines, etc. that you have created.

    I do have a suggestion for you for the students that have not turned in their permission slips, so it won't hold up the rest of your classes, and they still can get the same language arts instruction.

    For my students that do not participate in our onine discussion boards for one reason or another, I print a "mock" discussion page for them. I have several students this applies to, so I collect and switch initial responses (familiar term, huh?) so that students can respond to one another.

    It is not the same, but its a way of differentiation and they are getting almost the same experience. Your students that are just slack about bringing in the forms, this may light a fire under them. The ones that legitimately do not have permission, they'll still learn your ELA standards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debb,

    Thanks so much for the idea. I believe I could post the response question in the students G drive of the school on a word document. Students could respond to one another in a word document and therefore get around the use of the internet.

    As for the Facebook lesson, I was able to find one online that I purchased through Teacherspayteachers.com. I would be glad to share what I am doing though. The kids are loving it!

    ReplyDelete